Advocacy and Lobbying for Non-Profits and Activists
Jul 5 @ 10:00 - 15:00R400
- To understand the broad architecture of public participation in SA
- To gain a broad understanding of the lobbying and advocacy dynamic in SA
- To understand what makes for successful lobbying and advocacy
- To understand how to develop campaign strategies
- To understand and effectively use key players in lobbying campaigns
- To understand law and policy processes and where power is located
- To explore how one can effectively participate in government processes
REGISTER HERE: EFT and Credit/Debit Card Options Are Available
Carol Beerwinkel is a Member of Parliament in the Western Cape. She has held many senior positions as chairperson / executive member of committees including Housing, Development Planning, and Tourism. Carol is currently the Shadow Minister for Education in the Western Cape Parliament. Her life goal is to leave a legacy of visible developmental growth examples and upliftment of people’s lives and surroundings. Her contribution to Education started in 1972. She spent many successful, though challenging years in this noble profession teaching in places like Johannesburg, Potchefstroom, Prieska and Cape Town.
Lisa Thompson Smeddle holds Master’s and Honours degrees in Sustainable Development from Stellenbosch University, and an Honours degree in Social Sciences from Chapman University in California. She is the Director of the USA and RSA registered Sustainable Development Network & African Sustainability Academy. She has 30 years’ experience working in the non-profit sector in southern Africa. She acted as sustainability advisor to Family Health International (FHI360), an Umbrella Grants Mechanism managing a $93million USAID/PEPFAR grant in South Africa. Lisa was also the Programme Coordinator and a course designer/lecturer at the Sustainability Institute / Stellenbosch University. She has worked as a consultant with international, African and South African aid and government agencies, Universities and more.